We all have this once in a while, a gut feeling, without an obvious reason we just get the feeling that something is not a good idea and that's you better go do something else than you planned.
Two days ago I had such a feeling, I was going to Pukkelpop this thursday to go and see 30 Seconds To Mars again, something in me told me that I wouldn't get to see them. I thought it would've been because of bad train hours or something but anyway it all got quite fixed and thursday morning my friend and me went to the Pukkelpop Festival in Kiewiet, Hasselt.
The day started of a bit weird whilest there was no other train planned on our track there appeared to be one that went to Brussels, we we're too busy talking and didn't hear/saw so.
So a good hour later I suddenly notice the environment where I passed the first time I went to a 30 Seconds To Mars concert, we were in Brussels, not Hasselt, something went wrong.
Jokingly I twittered ; "OMG Took the wrong train, now we're in Brussels #Fail is this a sign :o #PP "
I was more going for the "30 Seconds To Mars is staying in Brussels with the "sign" but now it just get's such a weird twist with what I wrote.
But we catched a train to Kiewiet just 10 minutes later. The weather was bright, the sun was shining, even shining very hard because, despite my Factor 50+, I got a severe sunburn on my back. The mood on the terrain was very relaxed, no pushing like there was at Pinkpop, just a real good bunch of people hanging out and checking out bands. We really had fun watching the bands on the mainstage, where we decided to stay because we had really awesome spots for 30 Seconds To Mars (not front row, but those spots sucked because the stage was way too high) .
While we really got into a festival mood, with the Skunk Anansie performance it suddenly began raining, everyone was sooo glad it started raining because it had been 30°C + the whole day)
But suddenly everthing turned almost in an apocalyptic scène. Someone near us had a big piece of plastic we could hide under so the hail wouldn't fully hit us. At that moment we were joking with the people underneath it about how we would never forget the day.
At that point we weren't aware of what had/was happening on the other side of the festivalground. Stages collapsed, it was a giant chaos. I got this information like 2 hours (!) after it happend. Rumours started, 6 deaths, many bad injured , trees had fallen into stuff, everything was blocked,...
Volunteers and security were handing out soup and blankets to avoid that we got cold.
In the meanwhile they kept saying "we're doing the possible things to let the headliners play" Not a single word about the injured and about dead people. Just a "let your friends and family now you're okay through sms"
What happend seems a bit surreal now forme, I'm at work but I can't think of anything but " what if ..." I know I shouldn't but still. I really start to believe that 30 Seconds To Mars is my guardian angel, if it wasn't for them I wouldn't have been at the mainstage...
There was a lack of information but looking back to it they might've just done that to avoid even bigger panic.
I do think the organisation ISN'T to blame for what happend. This storm was as Skin said "a small hurricane" we aren't used to such an extreme weather as that here in tiny little Belgium.
My thoughts go out to all the family and friends of the victims from this horrible event.
Nature is one scary thing.
I wish there was some way to make it more "visible" that I care. I think we all care.
I was thinking of making a black line with a marker on my wristband, a small indication that people died and even though we don't know them, we do think of them.
Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten