Why did I choose the title?
Well because the past days I noticed alot of this two "feelings" (by the lack of a better word).
Normally I just let it pass by me and I don't feel like getting involved in discussions, not because I don't like them, just because I know many people can't give up even although they know they're not making sense anymore. As a sales advisor I do get that kind of people on a regular base.
Because of my age some people don't take me serious and go like "you don't even have the knowlegde of it" well they mostly get blown away once they try to overbluff me. See there you got my pride, it's not because I'm "just" 19 years old that that means that I'm a stupid cow that knows nothing of photo- and videography. Like they say in French Au contraire at some points I'm way more educated that most of our customers :). This might sound like I have an ego, but it's the simple truth.
Which brings me to the point, a discussion/opinion that keeps busy some of my friends, some of my workmates.
"When do you call someone a photographer"
Well the definition of a photographer according to a dictionary
photographer [fəˈtɒgrəfə]
n
(Business / Professions) a person who takes photographs, either as a hobby or a profession
So there it goes, actually everyone who can hold a damned camera and makes some pictures, while having fun is a photographer.
The question they actually should ask is "where do you draw the line between a good photographer, a hobbyist and a pro " Because of the easy acces to photography these lines between the three of them have become very vaguely.
Earlier last week my mouth just fell open when my collegue was telling me about a girl, whom just didn't know what terms like Full Frame, APS-C, IS/OS ment. Well we get more of them in our shop and it really doesn't matter. Unless you pull out a business card which says " *** Photography" and buy stuff on your businessnumber. I was very sorry to hear something like that.
In a case like this I do think that person wasn't worth the "label" professional photographer, even the label hobbyist was maybe a bit too positive.
I consider everyone who doesn't make money with it as a hobbyist and from the moment they've got a businessnumber it doesn't make them pro yet. You get professional by what you do not because you're some number in a database. I've seen hobbyists way better than professionals. Then I think there is also a very big difference between a photographer and a photoshopper. Yes some people create an amazing own style and touch but soo many times it's just an overkill or it just get's rid of the real deal.
If you want no reflections, you will use a polarisationfilter not photoshop...
In general I don't really like photoshop
1. Because I can't work with it
2. Because of the amount of unnaturel non dark room changes you can make to it.
A program that does get some support from me is Adobe Lightroom, it's okay to use it like you used filters to correct colors like you would in a dark room. I've never used it myself because I dropped out of photography way too soon. And I'm now even reconsidering taking evening courses in order to get my A1 photography, not because I want to earn money with it, just because I want to expand my knowledge and my own "talents". When I have the A1 I could call myself a photographer and say "Hey I have a degree that says so" SO WHAT?! actually I don't really care about the degree I just want to learn more and produce some new stuff. I've been down with it for ages and it's aching to start back, if I only had a camera.
Well another thing I wanted to write about, but I'm going to save it for another blog because this one is already quite long, is the way people are prejudiced in sooo many ways. But that'll be for another time !
So there it goes, actually everyone who can hold a damned camera and makes some pictures, while having fun is a photographer.
The question they actually should ask is "where do you draw the line between a good photographer, a hobbyist and a pro " Because of the easy acces to photography these lines between the three of them have become very vaguely.
Earlier last week my mouth just fell open when my collegue was telling me about a girl, whom just didn't know what terms like Full Frame, APS-C, IS/OS ment. Well we get more of them in our shop and it really doesn't matter. Unless you pull out a business card which says " *** Photography" and buy stuff on your businessnumber. I was very sorry to hear something like that.
In a case like this I do think that person wasn't worth the "label" professional photographer, even the label hobbyist was maybe a bit too positive.
I consider everyone who doesn't make money with it as a hobbyist and from the moment they've got a businessnumber it doesn't make them pro yet. You get professional by what you do not because you're some number in a database. I've seen hobbyists way better than professionals. Then I think there is also a very big difference between a photographer and a photoshopper. Yes some people create an amazing own style and touch but soo many times it's just an overkill or it just get's rid of the real deal.
If you want no reflections, you will use a polarisationfilter not photoshop...
In general I don't really like photoshop
1. Because I can't work with it
2. Because of the amount of unnaturel non dark room changes you can make to it.
A program that does get some support from me is Adobe Lightroom, it's okay to use it like you used filters to correct colors like you would in a dark room. I've never used it myself because I dropped out of photography way too soon. And I'm now even reconsidering taking evening courses in order to get my A1 photography, not because I want to earn money with it, just because I want to expand my knowledge and my own "talents". When I have the A1 I could call myself a photographer and say "Hey I have a degree that says so" SO WHAT?! actually I don't really care about the degree I just want to learn more and produce some new stuff. I've been down with it for ages and it's aching to start back, if I only had a camera.
Well another thing I wanted to write about, but I'm going to save it for another blog because this one is already quite long, is the way people are prejudiced in sooo many ways. But that'll be for another time !
Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten