woensdag 20 april 2011

American Idiot : The Movie

I just read that Tom Hanks his new project would be the filmversion of the Green Day album American Idiot. They have no actors, no director so far.
Which (and that's just stupid I know) made me think "What if I could direct that movie?"
Yes I know there probably will be some Hollywood college graduate doing the directing part.
But you know what if? It made me think maybe I have to record a few "scènes", make a storyboard about how I would see the CD in a movie. Make a list of whom I would cast.

I did look up the summary of the musical as it is approved by Billie Joe Armstrong and would also be the way they want their story in the movie.

The story, expanded from that of the concept album, centers on Johnny, a disaffected youth who flees stifling suburbia and his parents' restrictions to look for meaning in his life, and to try out the freedom and excitement of the city. One of his friends stays home to work out his relationship with his pregnant girlfriend. Another friend serves in Iraq. Johnny finds a part of himself that he grows to dislike, has a relationship and experiences lost love.
(from Wikipedia)

I strongly feel like the album has a time elapse in it. In the first parts we meet St Jimmy (Johnny in the musical) he's the Jesus of Suburbia, a kid(read adoscelent) living downtown, being the rebel and punk. The further the album evolves, the older he get's.
For myself I did have another story in mind to tell.
I had the feeling the album was about a very close friend of St Jimmy who looks back at his youth, realising how foolish they had been in some situations.

Well since I don't feel like typing the while story I had in mind I do want to tell how I see the movie. (and because I might even consider to write it down and film it, so it has to be kept secret :p)
It has to have this typical Green Day punk atmosphere, quite dark when we're around the teens and their older version have a somewhat brighter but still mysterious colour shades. They live in a quite suburban town => Nice and pretty houses with cupcake baking creepy moms and dads.
The style of the camera should be very loose and I think a sort of requiem for a dream like photography would work for the story.

About whom I would cast for the main roles and why ;

St. Jimmy

As for this part I haven't decided yet who I see in this role, it would be the main character one way but in another way we would see the story through his old friend his mind.
I need a young actor for this aprox 22 years old. Because I believe St Jimmy killed himself very young.
Maybe I should go for Daniel Radcliffe I believe he can do this kind of roles and it would be good for him to get rid of his Harry Potter image.
He also looks like an old friend of mine, who really does remind me about St Jimmy

The friend
The young version would have to be played by Zac Efron, I believe he is a pretty good actor (he convinced me with 17 again!)
He really looks punky with black hair, make it a bit longer and it's emopunk and very attractive for alot of girls.

The older version gets a quite obvious choice by this and yes he is my all time favorite actor and so many other things, but I just think he would fit the role of grown up version.

Then we would ofcourse get the 2 girls of the story.
First we get Mary Jane, the typical kind of alpha man his girlfriend kind of girl.
For me, she's blonde, wears ripped clothes, mascara that looks like she has been crying for hours and loads of really kitsch make up. She's basicly St Jimmy's fuck buddy you can't speak of much love. But still she is important for him and no-one should even dare to make a move towards her.

Hilary Duff might not seem a "good choice" because she looks awfull with alternative hairdo's and clothes/make-up. But that's why I want her to be Mary Jane.
She has to be someone who doesn't seem to belong in there and could be a cheerleader if she would act different. She must be the kind of girl that also is desired by the highschools football team.

And than we have Whatsername.
For me I interpreted this one as a girl that hung around for a few months/years but got rejected because she didn't let her drag down into St Jimmy his empire.
She stood up for what she believed and they couldn't take that. Secretly our friend was in love with her for who she was, but he was blinded by his best friend and started ignoring her too.
I would want her to be played by Miley Cyrus, although I dislike her current behaviour I do think she look awesome in a rock chick look and that she still can look sexy.
Another thing that made me choose her is that (and I really don't know why) I see a little part of myself in her. We're the same age maybe that makes it that she looks so much alike but I really think she is a beautiful women and I really envy her for her body.


That were the main characters I have tons of ideas for sidecharacters such as parents and brothers/sisters but this blog is getting long and I'm really just fantasising :p

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten